The New Economy Summit April 4th – 7th
- Keynote Speaker: Gar Alperovitz, Thursday April 4th, 1:00-2:00 p.m. Parkway Ballroom -Appalachian State Plemmons Student Union
- Endnote Speaker: Juliet Schor, Saturday April 6th, 5:00-7:00 p.m. Summit Trail Solarium -Appalachian State Plemmons Student Union
The purpose of The New Economy Summit is to explore local efforts and initiatives being made to transition to a just and sustainable economy.
The Summit will facilitate networking opportunities between students, business owners, and local non-profit organizations through workshops, panel discussions, and information exchange. The Summit is designed to maximize collaboration between all members of the High Country community.
The Goals of The New Economy Summit include:
- Build Relationships between the student population, the greater High Country community, and enterprises that incorporate more community-based, environmentally-sound practices in the High Country and beyond,
- Encourage Engagement with the High Country’s New Economy through patronage of local businesses and restaurants, or support of local non-profits and initiatives, specifically through volunteering, internships, and job opportunities,
- Skill Building activities to promote communication, self-reliance, and creative thinking necessary in the New economy and changing world,
- Educate students and citizens about possibilities and solutions towards a New Economy.